More than once, I’ve had the idea that I would crochet a basket using yarn and rope. (Thanks, Pinterest.)
It looked like a perfect job for the cone of cotton yarn in variegated blue, green, and natural.
Isn’t my Peter Rabbit necklace just the most perfect thing?
First, I started with some jute that I had in the closet, but the weight of the yarn and the diameter of the jute weren’t a good match. The yarn was swallowing the jute. I needed something heavier.
By my own volition, I went into Lowe’s. (I know.) And I came out with this.
Top left: sisal rope. Middle: that jute I already had. Top right: coconut husk rope. Bottom: manila rope (as you can read).
For some reason, I really wanted that coconut husk rope to work out. It might yet, but for now, it reminds me too much of my ready-for-summer, adolescent students: It’s prickly and grabby and has a mind of its own, which has zero interest in conforming to any plans I have.
It’s in timeout.
I moved on to the sisal rope, and we got along much better.
I love that orange crochet hook. It’s a cheap one that came in a set, but it’s the perfect size for this yarn. Plus, I am a sucker for anything amber or anything that remotely looks like amber.
So I was totally bummed this morning when it snapped like a twig.
I wasn’t the least bit surprised because I could feel the pressure put on it by the cotton and rope, which have no give to them at all, but I was still sad and probably (definitely) muttered a few curses.
Things went completely off the rails from there for a minute.
In my flurry to find a replacement hook, I dumped the dishes from brunch into the floor.
Suddenly, the headache that’s been poking at my brain for the past few days decided to make itself noticed.
I took several deep breaths, cleaned up the mess, and found a slightly larger—and considerably stronger—hook.
Soon, it was time to cut the rope, and I was a little worried about how that operation could go wrong considering the preceding events.
It went fine, though the cool little clippers you see there in the photo literally and figuratively couldn’t cut it. (They are perfect for yarn, though. Thanks, Maria!)
I finished my first rope basket!
It might be hard to tell here because I was super-conscious of the camera angle, but it is really wonky.
I apparently didn’t keep even tension on the rope, so it buckles in irreparably on one side and bows out on the other.
I also didn’t know what I was doing when I made the handles (or any part of the basket, really), so I made the mistake of not doing the first one at the beginning of the row, leading to some seriously lopsided row-ending. (Not pictured because I would like to maintain some shred of dignity.)
All in all, though, I think it’s a pretty decent little piece of work considering it was my first foray into the world of basketry that actually involved rope.
And then, I went out to the garage and did something I feel a smidge more confidence in: dyeing.
This is the colorway from the Rainbow Connection Collection that I have been calling Pink, Orange, and Yellow, though I am thinking of simplifying the names to be only the middle color, since it figures most prominently in the scheme. That would make this one just Orange.
If I was going to give each individual colorway in this collection a “creative” name, which I’m not, this one’s would totally be Tequila Sunrise.